CSR & Outreach
Our flagship training and outreach programmes are a priority. Our regular case law and legislation seminar events sit side by side with talks for school children, university students and graduates. We aim to provide opportunities for aspiring lawyers from all backgrounds and diverse areas of society to learn about a career in the law and life at the Bar.
Our planned outreach programme includes:
– Bridging the Bar where we are a Partner offering mini pupillages to promote equal opportunities and diversity at the Bar. bridgingthebar.org/ has a vision for the future of a society where the Bar is accessible for everyone regardless of race, sex, class or other characteristics.
– Support for The Girls’ Network which inspires and empowers girls from the least advantaged communities by connecting them with a mentor and a network of professional female role models.
– Investing in our Pupillage Committee and Equality and Diversity Committee which actively identify initiatives to increase Chambers’ diversity, in particular our racial diversity. We are sponsoring dedicated prizes to the two highest achieving BAME students at Leeds and Newcastle Universities as part of the programme.
– Funding “social mobility” and “positive action” mini pupillages where there are cost or other barriers to considering a career in the law and, in particular, those from minority ethnic backgrounds.
Our Outreach Team is a dedicated committee designed to take positive action at both Chambers and the Bar. In doing so, the team works alongside our Equality & Diversity Committee and Pupillage Committees to increase diversity within our profession across all axes including but not limited to race and ethnicity, social economic backgrounds, and gender identities.
To date, the Team have been:
- Assisting local University Bar societies
- Presenting talks to local sixth form students
- Judging mooting competitions
- Hosting remote open evenings
- Providing mock interviews