Parklane Plowden are undoubtedly leaders in the field of credit hire, boasting a team of more than 25 dedicated credit hire experts.
Parklane Plowden are undoubtedly leaders in the field of credit hire, boasting true expertise and strength in depth at all levels of seniority. Chambers boasts a team of more than 25 dedicated credit hire experts, led by Corin Furness.
It is no exaggeration to say that arguments devised and developed by barristers practising at Parklane Plowden have shaped this area of law over the years.
In-house training programs ensure that all barristers at Parklane Plowden (whatever year of call) provide our clients with up-to-the-minute advice and representation in this fluid and often complex area of the law.
Members of Chambers travel nationwide for hearings and conferences, but are equally adept at handling remote and paperless instructions. Our team is large enough to cover all levels of case from small claims to the Supreme Court.
We provide expertise at all stages of litigation, from advice to pleadings to final hearing and beyond (where appeals or non-party costs orders are called for).
Members of the team regularly advise on, plead and argue credit hire cases involving:
- Core credit hire issues of need, rate and period.
- Arguments on illegality and unenforceability.
- Loss of profit or cost of capital / standing charge claims in respect of taxis and other commercial vehicles.
- Arguments over impecuniosity (and the adequacy of any pleadings or disclosure relating to impecuniosity).
- Arguments in relation to prestige vehicles, in particular the reasonableness of hiring a like for like substitute.
- Mitigation of loss and, in particular, the Claimant’s obligations in relation to own-party fully comprehensive insurance.
- Arguments on intervention, and the effectiveness of an insurer’s Copley letters.
- Arguments over the adequacy of basic hire rates evidence.
- Fraudulent and fundamentally dishonest credit hire and associated bent metal claims.
- Credit hire bicycles and motorcycles.
- Strike out applications.
Our more senior team members also have the market knowledge and expertise to provide broader strategic advice to those looking to improve their performance or reduce the frictional costs that are all-too-common in the credit hire arena.
We have the capacity to deal with bulk contracts and welcome enquiries from insurers, hire companies or others with an interest in the credit hire market.
Members of the team are also adept at sharing their considerable knowledge at national and regional seminars given remotely and in person.