Called 2009 Email Gareth
Gareth practises in the fields of personal injury, clinical negligence and employment law. Offering services for both claimants and defendants, he provides an excellent level of service both in an advisory capacity and before courts and tribunals. Gareth has also practised in Toronto, Canada as a member of the Law Society of Ontario and is able to assist in matters touching on that jurisdiction.
Direct Access qualified.
Strong experience with a variety of clinical negligence claims. Acting for both Claimants and Defendants (in particular hospital trusts), Gareth has advised and acted in claims concerning pregnancy complications, misdiagnoses, surgical errors and consent.
Gareth has acted in all areas of personal injury and fatal accidents, including multi-party actions, fraud, products liability and catastrophic injuries.
He has particular experience arguing costs and case management hearings.
Gareth represents Claimants and Respondents, appearing in the ET and EAT.
In his practice he has advised and acted in matters ranging from;
- Unfair dismissal, including several matters regarding automatic unfair dismissal claims under TULCRA;
- Wrongful dismissal;
- Equality Act 2010 claims for direct and indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation;
- Breach of contract, unlawful wage deduction and holiday pay claims;
- Post-employment obligations and restraint of trade provisions.
Specific cases in which he has acted include:
- 7 day unfair and wrongful dismissal claims; multiple Claimants; allegations of Union-related reasons for dismissal;
- EAT; Employee classification appeal, post-Van Winkelhof;
- Indirect age and sex discrimination; 4-day hearing; complex arguments on termination of employment post Geys.
- Defence of breach of restraint of trade/post-employment terms in multi-million pound action brought by ex-employer;
- Wrongful dismissal action against the State; obtaining disclosure and costs orders;
- Negotiated settlement following allegations of sexual harassment, resulting in termination of accused perpetrator.
Gareth has appeared before coroners on numerous occasions.
Sexual harassment at work, acting for Claimant, obtaining significant findings regarding systemic practices.
Employee classification appeal, post-Van Winkelhof, in EAT.
Indirect age and sex discrimination, 4-day hearing and successful defence for the Respondent
Wrongful dismissal action against the State, acting successfully in obtaining disclosure and costs orders.
Negotiated settlement following allegations of sexual harassment, resulting in termination of accused perpetrator
Unfair dismissal, gross misconduct, successful defence arising
Successful defence of numerous allegations of discrimination against small business.
Serious cognitive deficit case following missed SAH
Delayed diagnosis following fracture to ankle, leading to lifetime loss of earnings claim
Negligent community nursing care of hospital-acquired infection
Multi-party road traffic accident, successful trial advocacy over 3 day hearing.
Appeal concerning orders made at Stage 3 hearings.
Injury and credit hire claim for £250k, successfully struck out