Called 2016 Email Robert
Robert became a tenant at Parklane Plowden in 2017, following the successful completion of his pupillage under Mark Thomas and Dominic Bayne. He formerly studied at Downing College, Cambridge, where he was awarded a First Class Honours Degree, before achieving an Outstanding Grade on the BPTC.
Robert maintains a broad civil practice, with a particular focus upon personal injury, employment law, and credit hire.
- Robert takes instructions in a vast array of personal injury matters, including Small Claims and Fast Track trials, various Applications, MOJ Stage 3s, and Approvals, in addition to drafting pleadings and providing advice to solicitors. Robert also takes instructions in CFA matters, where appropriate. Robert also has experience in CICA matters
- Robert undertakes a large amount of employment law work, from Preliminary to Final Hearings, acting for both Claimants and Respondents. Robert is also available to draft documents and pleadings for the Tribunal.
- Robert has also developed a strong credit hire practice, appearing for both Claimants and Defendants at all stages of the litigation process. He regularly appears in both Small Claim and Fast Track Credit Hire matters
Before joining PLP and starting pupillage, Robert undertook legal aid work in Kampala, Uganda, advising and drafting court documents for disadvantaged clients. When not at work, Robert can often be found running, playing football, on the terraces of his beloved St. James’ Park, or satisfying his love of non-league football at Hillheads Park.
Regularly writes on topical civil law matters.
Robert frequently takes instructions from both Claimants and Respondents in a variety of personal injury matters, both attending Court, drafting pleadings and providing Advices on liability and quantum. Robert is experienced in both Small Claim and Fast Track matters. This includes, inter alia:
Additionally, Robert takes a significant number of instructions in credit hire cases, particularly for Defendants. Recent successes have included dismissal of a claim for credit hire charges after the Claimant’s contract was found to be unenforceable, and another, in which the Claimant’s claim was struck out for failure to comply with the Court’s preliminary order.
Lastly, Robert has experience in conducting CICA matters. More recently, Robert appeared for 2 separate Appellants whom both were successful at appeal in overturning the CICA's decision on eligibility.
Robert has establisheda strong employment law practice, and takes instructions in an array of employment law matters, building upon the goodfoundation given to him in pupillage by Dominic Bayne. Common instructions include attendance at Preliminary Hearings, and Final Hearings, in addition to the drafting of pleadings.
Robert more commonly appears for Respondents, but nevertheless takes a number of instructions for Claimants in the ET.
Recent successes have included:
In addition to the credit hire practice described above, Robert also takes instructions in chancery and commercial matters.
- Robert has taken instructions in a number of Cavity Wall and External Wall Insulation claims, preparing pleadings, advising, and appearing at Court. This has been for both Claimants and Defendants;
- Robert has advised in a number of chancery/property matters, including more recently regarding the prospects of a claim for trespass/nuisance
- Robert takes instructions in mortgage mis-selling cases, and has drafted pleadings on such matters.
- Robert has also appeared for a number of insurance companies, involving contractual disputes with their insureds
2014: Senior Harris Scholarship (awarded to students of Downing College who achieve firsts across multiple years). 2015: Middle Temple Queen Mother Scholarship and Harmsworth Entrance Exhibition, University of Northumbria Dean's Award Recipient. 2016: Trinity Chambers Prize for the Best Performance on the BPTC, Opinion Writing Prize.
2014: Senior Harris Scholarship (awarded to students of Downing College who achieve firsts across multiple years).
2015: Middle Temple Queen Mother Scholarship and Harmsworth Entrance Exhibition
2015: University of Northumbria Dean's Award Recipient.
2016: Trinity Chambers Prize for the Best Performance on the BPTC
2016: Northumbria Univeristy BPTC Opinion Writing Prize.
2014: MA (Hons) Law, University of Cambridge (First Class).
2016: Bar Professional Training Course, University of Northumbria (Outstanding).